Diablo 4 has a progressive tier system that allows players to embark on more challenging content as their level increases. The way it works is through World Tier levels. Currently, there are 4 world tiers, and the first two are unlocked by default when you start the game.
World tiers 3 and 4 are locked, and you need to reach a certain level and complete certain tasks to be able to unlock them. This guide will go over how to unlock World Tier 3, and what to expect when you swap to this tier.
How to unlock World Tier 3
To unlock World Tier 3 in Diablo 4, you need to complete the Priority quest called “World Tier 3: Nightmare” in World Tier 2. The quest will ask you to explore the level 50 Capstone dungeon “Cathedral of Light” which is located in Kyovashad.
You need the following requirements before you can obtain the World Tier 3: Nightmare priority quest:
- Your character should be level 40.
- You completed all 6 acts in the main story and the Epilogue.
By conquering the Cathedral of Light, you will be able to switch to World Tier 3. I recommend that you are at least level 50 before doing that as the monsters’ level starts at 55, and they don’t scale to your level if you are anywhere less than that.
When you change to World Tier 3, you can expect the following:
- Sacred and Unique items will start to drop.
- Nightmare sigils will start dropping, and you will get access to Nightmare Dungeons.
- Helltides will become accessible all over Sanctuary.
- Some monsters will have auras that can increase all surrounding enemy armor, or damage.
- Enemies are much stronger.
- Experience earned from killing monsters is increased by 100%.
- Monsters drop 20% more gold.
- Monsters have 20% increased resistance to all elements.
How to change World Tiers in Diablo 4
To change World Tiers, you need to go to Kyovashad and find the Statue of Inarius which is located just under the Cathedral. You can also change your world tier from the character selection screen.
Keep note that changing a World Tier will terminate all active portals, reset all incomplete Whispers, and close any active Nightmare Dungeon.